The first quarter of 2013 danced in and out before we blinked three times … so far we have :
- welcomed a new SpaMaster, Yogi Yergler, who now makes our artisan-crafted botanical spa products
- entered into a new partnership with Frontier Communications, to support local area artists
- added a new international Guest Artist program to complement our Emerging Artist program, including
- Alma Dance & Yaya Kabo in May
- Elias Garza in July
- Anindita Dutta in September
- Debuted a new line of hand-stitched & hand-painted Children’s Decor, the ‘Spotty Collection’ by Robin Pickett, in addition to ongoing additions to her new greeting cards — many hand-stitched!
- planned a new show, ‘Something in the Air’ in May
- agreed to participate in the Lafayette Clay Guild show in July, it’s all about MUGS!
- planned to finally provide what so many have requested: CLASSES! (Call for information, 765-838-2266)
- Co-sponsored a Third Grade Art-Social studies project at Cumberland Elementary School, made possible by an Indiana Arts Commission Grant.
- Are ready to rock the West Lafayette Farmers Market with GH Artist Rachel Witt leading green ‘Art at the Market’ for kids, the last Wednesday of every month
- Supported Purdue’s Earth Day activities with creative recycling demonstrations
- supported the YWCA Bowl Giving Project (yes, 50 Bowls!), Tippecanoe County Family Services through their Bridal Show, supported TAF through their ArtMix fundraiser, and we have continued our ‘give-back’ support with the American Heart Association, St. James Lutheran School, Lafayette Catholic Schools, and other groups.
Hang on tight, and Join us for an exciting and fun-filled 2013!
Looking back at a busy 2012 …
Warmer weather brought a lot of opportunities and activities!
Check our “News and Events” page for details and progress on specific events, which include:
“Mugs & Mosey’s”
Mosey down Main Street is a community gathering with music, food and fun. We’re not exactly sure what form ‘Mugs & Mosey’s’ take, so ‘watch this space,’ or stop by 6-9 pm on any Mosey night.
2012 Moseys: May 12, June 9, July 14, August 11, September 1
opens Friday, April 20 with an Artist’s Reception from 6-9 pm.
Meet the artists, enjoy some refreshments!
Friday, May 11, with a Gallery Reception from 6-9 pm.
We are honored to have Bolokada Conde, world-reknowned African Malinka Master Drummer and Djembafolas join us for this event, providing live music! This will be a VERY special occasion, and we strongly encourage you to come experience some superb, joyful, high-energy West African drumming! It is irresistible!
It’s my personal opinion that hearing live African drumming should be on EVERYONE’s ‘Bucket’ list. Once you get past the first “OH” at the volume & energy, it’s simply amazing!
(If you miss Master Conde on May 11, find him at the Mosey on May 12th!)
“Things that go BLOOM!”
Friday, May 18, with an Artist’s Reception from 6-9 pm.
Friday, July 13, with a Gallery Reception from 6-10 pm.
Get a sneak peek at Diane’s new drums, and Sign up for free introductory Drumming sessions (to be held Friday, July 20th). Sundeep Rao (spouse of Grateful Heart artist Robin Pickett) will lead the sessions. Sundeep and Robin are both also drummers in a West African Drum group, “CircAfrique.”
“Things that go BOOM!”
Friday, July 20, with a Artist’s Reception from 6-9 pm.
The fireworks may be over, but the delight in summer days and fun with friends is going strong! Enjoy cheering on our new drummers in Sundeep’s drum circles, and explore our explosion of new work in the gallery.
Friday, September 14th, with a Gallery Reception from 6-10 pm.
The ‘back-to-school’ rush and hurry is past, and it’s time to shift gears. Take a sneak peak at our new show, “TEN,” and enjoy refreshments at the Heart.
“TEN” & Grateful Heart’s Second Anniversary Celebration!
Friday, September 21st, with an Artist’sReception from 6-9 pm.
Join us in celebrating our 2nd Anniversary, with the opening of our show, TEN.
Each Grateful Heart artist has been challenged to create TEN pieces based on a Lafayette inspiration. Diane, as usual, has chosen a topic about which she knows nothing — train locomotives! Robin has decided to explore international influences. Watch to see what other inspirations surface, how they progress through the creative processes, and how they turn out.
We will be asking attendees to vote for ‘Best of Show,’ and enter a drawing for a “Thank You” gift!
March 12-19 was national MS Awareness week (Wear ORANGE!) and the artists at Grateful Heart are behind it 100%, for a very personal reason!
Artist Pam Grimes (sister of our very own Robin Pickett), has lived with MS for more than 20 years, but it hasn’t slowed her down!
From her wheelchair, Pam is a tireless fund-raiser for MS Research, via her hand-embossed cards.
Pam joined us on March 16th, to share her experiences and demonstrate how she makes her cards and other items to raise money for MS Research.
These items remain available at the gallery.
Remember, ORANGE is the MS Color!
We opened our door July, 2010, and held our Grand Opening September 25, 2010. Since then we’ve expanded our space and added one artist, and the studio now looks well-used!
Along the way, we have made many new friends, and are always delighted when they stop by just to see what’s new and say “Hi!”
Please stop in if you’re downtown, and we hope you will remember us when you need a ‘gift from the Heart.’